FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What can I expect in my initial visit?
- Expect your provider’s focus to be on taking care of you! There is a normal and expected stress when visiting a mental health practitioner for the first time, and your provider will be looking for ways to help.
How often will I need to be seen?
- If you enter into a talk therapy, you will likely start with weekly appointments.
- If your plan is primarily medication oriented, there will be a starting period, followed by a maintaining and monitoring period. The frequency of your visits will be decided by you, with your provider’s recommendation. Commonly, the starting period will have several visits on a weekly basis, followed by less frequent visits to monitor your medication and provide support with any interim problems (if needed). These visits will be in range of monthly to every 3 months.
What should I bring to my first visit?
- Your insurance card
- Paperwork: you may download, print, and fill out the new patient forms before your appointment. We will also have several brief questionnaires for you to complete. Please arrive at least 15 minutes early for this preparation.
- If you know that your Pondworks provider will need medical records from another provider(s)’ office, please download, print and complete the Request Records form on our Patient Forms page.
- List of current medications and supplements
- Directions to Pondworks (print)
I have insurance and/or billing questions!
- Please visit our “Financial Matters” page.
- Our front office staff can be reached by calling (512) 371-9555, extension 4, or (512) 420-2224. Front office hours are Monday-Thursday from 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., and on Fridays from 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Our office accepts cash, personal checks, Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover.
- You can make an online payment, or set up a payment plan, through our Patient Portal.
Will I leave my first visit with a prescription for medication?
If you are a brand new patient and wish to continue a medication prescribed by another provider, please note that we may not be able to help you with that at your initial consultation. The first appointment is used to learn your history and determine whether establishing a treatment relationship is appropriate.
How do I refill my prescription?
- For established patients: have your pharmacy send our office a request either by electronic request or by fax. Our fax number is (512) 367-5756. Please allow us at least 48 business hours for approval (one week for stimulant prescriptions).